Friday, February 15, 2008

Cro Cop return to Japan

Victories lead to Fedor



Mirko's return to Japan was spectacularly announced in Tokyo yesterday. A press conference was held in Edmont hotel where a new MMA organisation was presented - Dreams. Mirko was the surprise guest. The organizers were announcing the appearance of a big name, but handn't mentioned Mirko's name. But, as the song Wild Boys started to play, excitement begun which culminated as Mirko entered the room. His manager, Ken Imai, told us about it over the phone:
"Press conferences in Japan are often held with fans present. For all of them, the appearance of Mirko was an emotional moment."



Mirko's trip to Japan was undercover due to business reasons. Imai says: "Just 3 hours before the press conference I received a letter from UFC's president Dana White in which he confirmed that the UFC is ready to terminate Mirko's contract, but under one condition - that he comes back when he's ready."

And Mirko himself says he wants to come back.
"I'll continue to train in the cage, the one I have in my gym, because I'll return to the UFC. I left because I couldn't wait any longer. I asked for a fight earlier, as early as March 1st, but I was offered May, or even later. I asked for a rematch with Gonzaga in Zagreb, but he lost to Werdum so that fell through. And I'm in shape, I gained muscle mass, I'm 105 kg (231 lbs) and I want to fight."

In order for that to happen, Mirko mustn't lose for the duration of his new contract.
"Mirko is not allowed to lose. After 3 victories, all options will be opened."

One of the wishes will most likely be a rematch with Fedor, but that has to be earned, beginning from March 15th. Mirko realizes that some people will come out who see it all just as his escape from the octagon.
"Last 2 years I've been in some kind of mental blockade. I was empty before fights, depressed, I hated myself."
If he fights in the UFC again, Mirko would like it to happen England.
"I'm sorry to have disappointed my English fans who welcomed me like a king. That's why I want to come out in front of them again. I can't turn back time, but my time will come again."

After the last year's acquisition of Pride, the Americans rule the world of MMA. They never had Fedor, but they got the legendary Brasilian Minotaur. Fedor remains with M-1, but without an exclusive contract, which means he can fight in other organisations. Besides, M-1 and Dreams will cohost events. In that light, a rematch between Mirko and Fedor is a possibility, but not as one of Mirko's first 3 fights. Besides Mirko, the stars in Dreams should be Serghei Kharitonov (who holds victories over Schilt and Werdum), Murk Hunt and also some of the current K-1 fighters like Jerome LeBanner and Ray Sefo. Dreams was founded as the successor of Pride, with the association of K-1. Events will be organized by ex-Prides producers, referees, and aired by the national TV station TBS.

No comments: